Course Overview and Target Audience:
This review course is designed for licensed Registered Nurses (RN) who have been involved in the nursing care of morbidly obese and bariatric surgery patients for a minimum of two years and are preparing to take the Certification Exam.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe morbid obesity and the history of weight loss surgery
- Review clinical management for four weight loss surgery procedures
- Explain team collaboration, program administration and outreach related to the management of morbid obesity
- Discuss strategies for successful test taking
Faculty: Bobbie Lou Price RN MSN CBN, Samer Mattar MD FASMBS, Christine Bauer MSN RN CBN, Barbara Lawrence RN MEd, Jamie Carr BSN RN CBN, Deb Gross BSN MHA CBN, Pamela Davis BSN RN CBN, Laura Boyer RN CBN, Christopher D. Still DO FACN FACP, Julie Parrot MS RD CPT, Steven Ritz PhD
Instructions for Participation and Credit:
- Read the course objectives and view the faculty disclosures.
- View the CBN Online Review course module
- Complete the post-activity evaluation and claim the appropriate number of credits based on the amount of time actually spent in the activity.
Release Date: 12/20/2012
Review Date: 9/20/2015
Expiration Date: 12/20/2018
Estimated time to complete activity: 8 hours.
- Dedicated access to a computer using a modern operating system such as Windows 7 or Mac OS X. Access to a backup computer in the case of equipment failure is recommended.
- A high-speed Internet connection is recommended. Many components are not guaranteed to work on slower connections. Some wireless connections may cause problems. We cannot distribute hard copies (e.g., cd-rom, dvd-rom, usb) of multimedia items.
- Speakers or headphones are required for many presentations.
- Firefox web browser – in order to simplify compatibility issues, we ask all to access course content using Firefox (Chrome, Internet Explorer or Safari may experience limited functionality).
- Adobe Flash Player (desktop only) – many modules include A/V presentations which require Flash Player.
- Adobe Reader – many modules include .pdf documents.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient’s conditions and possible contraindications on dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
No commercial support was sought from industry for this activity; therefore, this activity was developed without influence from any commercial interest.
Disclosures and Conflict of Interest:
Disclosures have been reviewed to ensure there is no conflict of interest. View faculty disclosures.
Contact the ASMBS office at 352.331.4900 or email us.